Concealed Carry Permits
**DUE TO COVID-19 CONCEAL CARRY PERMITS WILL BE PROCESSED BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. PLEASE CALL 740-342-4123 OPT. 1 TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT**
Ohio Concealed Handgun License Information
With regard to the State of Ohio Application for License to Carry a Concealed Handgun, it is the intention of the Ohio Legislature that this law (RC 2923.125) is compliant with the National Instant Criminal Background check system. This system of checks contains disqualifiers not specifically enumerated in Section III and/or IV of the license Application.
If a disqualifier is found, your application will be denied.
New and Renewal Applications are accepted:
Monday 8am to 11:30am
Tuesday 8am to 3:30pm
Wednesday 8am to 11:30am
After applying, DO NOT call to check on the status of your Concealed Handgun License unless it has been 45 days from your application date. The Ohio Revised Code allows the Sheriff up to 45 days to issue licenses.
The legal requirements for a concealed handgun license issued by the Perry County Sheriff are:
- 21 years of age or older
- Legal Resident of United States
- Resident of Perry, Licking, Fairfield, Muskingum, Morgan, Athens or Hocking County
- Submit a certification of completion of an 8 hour gun safety course meeting the requirements of O.R.C. 2923.125 (dated within last 3 years.)
- File an application with the Sheriff’s Office
- Submit a recent (within 30 days) color passport style facial photo of the applicant (approx. 2″x2″) on a blank background. NO candid ‘cutout’ photos will be accepted.
- Payment of a non-refundable fee:
$67.00 for residents of Ohio for the LAST FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS or more. If you have not been an Ohio resident FOR THE LAST FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS, the fee is $77.00. Payment may be made with a money order or CERTIFIED CASHIER’S check payable to: Perry County Sheriff’s Office.
- Out of State Applicants: If you are not an Ohio resident, and work in Perry County or an adjoining county, you may apply for a license by following the steps above AND providing current verification (paystub or employer letter) of employment in Perry County or an adjoining county. The NON-refundable application fee is $77.00 payable by money order or certified/cashier’s check payable to: Perry County Sheriff’s Office.
- Criminal and Mental competency background checks
- Ohio Disqualifying Factors may be viewed here.
- Federal Disqualifying Factors may be viewed here
Review ALL of these factors BEFORE submitting your application and non-refundable fee.
Applicants will have their fingerprints taken for a record check, and license data entered into the computer at the time they submit their application on a first come-first served basis.
NOTE: Applicants must provide a color passport style photo of their face (approx. 2″ x 2″, head & shoulders only) taken within the past 30 days, attached to the application. NO candid ‘cutout’ photos will be accepted.
Applicants must appear in person for the process, and must bring a government issued photo ID (ex: driver’s license, state ID, passport).
Applicants will receive phone notification that their license is completed and may be picked up.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL to check on the status of your application after we have received it unless you fail to hear from us/or receive your license for 45 days. If you were fingerprinted as part of the application process, your license completion time will be longer than if processed with an electronic WebCheck fingerprint. Ohio law allows up to 45 days for processing applications, although we make every effort to complete the process as quickly as possible.
After receiving your concealed handgun license, please be aware of the following information:
- Your license is now entered into the law enforcement computer system.
- An officer stopping any vehicle registered to you will be aware the registered vehicle owner has a concealed handgun license.
- If stopped by an officer while carrying a handgun, the license holder must follow the procedures outlined in the current “Ohio’s Concealed Carry Law” booklet.
- Please store the license in the sleeve provided, or consider using an adhesive plastic laminate to protect the face of the card (carrying license in wallet behind plastic window may damage card).
Card Replacement Fees
$ 5.00 Replace damaged license – damaged license turned in; duplicate card printed.
$15.00 Replace a lost or stolen license – complete affidavit of loss/theft (provided by our office), process new license with photo & signature, assign new license number, modify license number in law enforcement computer.
If you wish to obtain a replacement Concealed Handgun License displaying your new address, you must apply in person on the application dates and times listed above. The cost is $15.00 – (Modify record in CHL computer with new address, print replacement license, enter new address information in law enforcement computer). Payment must be in made by money order, or cashier’s/certified check (NO uncertified personal or business checks are accepted). Make the money order/certified or cashier’s check payable to: Perry County Sheriff’s Office.
Change of Address
Ohio law requires you to notify the Sheriff’s Office at which you obtained your Concealed Handgun License within 45 days after an address change.
You must notify the Sheriff’s Office that issued your license, NOT the Sheriff’s Office in your new resident county.
You must do this in person and we will issue you a new card.
This process, required by law, modifies the record held by our agency in the event you need to be contacted regarding a suspension, revocation, or administrative purpose.
CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE RENEWAL
Issued Licenses are valid for 5 years from the date printed on the license.
An Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) may be renewed no more than 90 days before the expiration date printed on the license, and at any time after expiration.
Payment of a non-refundable fee:
$50.00 renewal fee. Payment may be made with a money order or CERTIFIED CASHIER’S check payable to: Perry County Sheriff’s Office.
The Ohio Attorney General’s website contains an information page including the required reading booklet “Ohio’s Concealed Carry Law“, Frequently Asked Questions, and an Instructor search index.
To learn about reciprocity with other states, click here.
More information regarding the concealed carry law may be obtained at www.OhioCCW.org or www.buckeyefirearms.org These organizations are not affiliated with the Perry County Sheriff’s Office, nor is the accuracy of their website content verified by our office.
Read about our Office’s history and past Sheriff’s
Services provided by our Office & contact information for Division Supervisor’s.
View the latest items up for Sheriffs Auction.